Saturday, February 20, 2010

A Valentines Story

For Valentines day Ben and I both had to work so we decided we would celebrate at the end of the month. I was feeling a little sad that on our first valentines day as a married couple we wouldn't actually be doing anything. I sat at work thinking that this could turn out to be the worst valentines day ever, and that it would set precedence on all of the valentines to come- I had convinced myself I had no more good valentines.
Saturday's I'm usually able to get off at 10 pm, 10 came and went, then 11 came and went, and I still hadn't gotten Ben anything for Valentines, (which I wanted to even though i was sure I would not be getting anything in return) finally at about 11:20 my replacement came- and I was able to run to Wal-mart.
I had been to this very Wal-Mart two days earlier and it seemed that the whole store was decorated pink and red because of all the valentines treats, flowers, stuffed animals and balloons that decorated the hall. However as I walked into the sliding glass doors the place looked like a Valentines Wasteland- The things on my list were gone- all that was left were a few deflated balloons, some stuffed animals and pokemon valentines. I searched every aisle.
I stood in front of the now empty display where just days earlier a huge collection of "The perfect Valentines Gift" had been. I looked at my watch, It was now midnight. I thought to myself: 'I'm sure Ben is asleep and what good is a gift going to do anyway We weren't celebrating until the end of the month and I'm sure I could find a suitable gift by then.' Discouraged and tearful I started to leave the wal-mart, When I was stopped by a man who was holding "it"- the last "Perfect Valentines Gift"
He said "were you looking for one of these"
"Yes!" I exclaimed
" I found out my wife already got this, and I no longer need it, you can have it."
I took the "Perfect Valentines Gift" and Ran to the candy aisle, got some candy and found a bag and a card! Valentines was Saved!
As I drove home, I saw a card that in all the chaos I had missed, It was the sweetest valentine, from my sweet husband. It was enough to make the whole night worth it.
Happy that my husband still remembered me on our busy valentines, I rushed home and when I opened the door, the room was filled with candle light, there was a beautiful dinner on the table, a basket with all my favorite candies, romantic music, and best of all FLOWERS!
I was so happy. It was the best valentines anyone could hope for.

2 comments:

Ashley Metzger said...

Sooooooooo cute!!!! I love the way you wrote it too. This just brightened up my day. You two seem amazing together!

Tina Montgomery said...

I loved your Valentine's story! It was great. You wrote it very well! Glad everything worked out!:)