Thursday, September 13, 2012

Peace, Connection and Movement


I travel... Why so much a friend asked, don't you miss home? 
Yes. I do, but it makes me love it so much more. I love my family and my job more because I leave it on occasion. Some may disagree with me, however in my life I find this and the following things to be true. 

I am a stranger to boredom I don't allow myself to sit still. When my life has slowed it is then I am afraid I will lose touch of who I am. I am afraid I will become the person I was a few years past, the person who questioned the worth of her own life. I am afraid I will become content and careless, hurting ones I love and myself.

 I admire the souls who can sit in their home and be at peace. I am not that soul, I was born to do, to see, to taste, to experience, to love and to feel. I cannot neglect the energy that runs through my veins, I cannot retrain my heart to stop longing for the ocean air or the open road. I get a thrill when I leave all I know, and for instance am at the mercy of strangers, to trust the human spirit to befriend and  to direct. A conversation with a stranger at a ballpark, or in line for a hotdog in New York is conversation and opportunity to hear somebody who you'll never hear again, to connect the human spirit not through anything deep or unusual but through something common. This reminds me that each of us no matter our race, gender or beliefs is human. We are humans. Humans simply looking for other humans to help them figure out what makes their soul soar. 

I travel to move. Not always to go somewhere certain but to get out and move, to feel the earth beneath me and see the sky above me. I am happy to not rest if this means one more day of looking at something I don't get everyday. I look for the chance to just escape the fear I have when I don't see life changing. It's natural for energy to move. We are energy, its natural for us to move. I travel to move.

Finally traveling is my vice, I do not smoke, I do not drink, I am not promiscuous but I leave, I run away and escape. The thing about any vice is it will become something you need. No longer is it something you hope for or occasionally want, but your thought process turns it into a passion, an obsession. when do I leave next? where else can I go? If I had millions of dollars and endless hours my travels would exceed the space I can make in days and become the space I can make for years.  

I know I am not alone in this need of traveling I found a partner who too wants to be somewhere fresh wants to sit in the ocean and feel waves. I was blessed to find a like soul. Life is so short Mark Twain summed it up pretty well, he said something along the lines of in 20 years we will not regret the things we did but the ones we didn't. Maybe I'll regret not staying still, but if I feel peace when I travel then I feel like if I go against this desire that will be thing I regret most. 



No comments: