Saturday, March 19, 2011

When I Grow Up.

At age 15 I knew that when I grew up I wanted to be Dental Hygienist I knew that was what I was going to study at Weber State University, I knew how long the program would take me and what color scrubs I was going to wear, that same summer I did an internship assisting dental assistants, I really enjoyed all the office work and talking with the patients however the first time I asked a patient to say AHH and open wide to clean their teeth I about lost my lunch, I decided that day, this was not for me.
At age 16 I was frantic because now I didn't know what I wanted to do when I grew up. I didn't know who I was going to be, that summer I took some pictures of my best friend and they actually turned out great, not to mention I really enjoyed it. My journey to being a photographer began, I took photoshop classes and read everything online about photography, this was it.
My senior year I took a college psychology class, it was so interesting and wonderful I loved learning about peoples brains and their ability to do or not do certain things, mental diseases fascinated me and the way I think intrigued me.
While studying art at UVU I got a job working with kids with Autism, I loved it and decided I would change my major to special education. A few more months went by and some of the harder realities of special education hit, I still loved my job but it was emotionally draining and I wasn't sure I wanted to spend the rest of my life feeling helpless. The school year ended and I moved before the next year I was unable to return to that job. While working at La Quinta I missed working at a school, I missed the opportunity I had to teach, the regular hours and the joy I felt from my job, not only for those reasons but many others I left the hotel business.
Today I work for Valley Mental Health as a councilor for at risk kids. I love my job. I am finding out how much I love teaching so this summer I'm going to school to become a teacher or high school councilor, however over the past couple weeks I've been thinking how what I really want to do when I "grow up" is be a mom. I really want to stay home and raise my children, I'm still going to school because you never know what can happen, I am going to study education and continue to do my passion of photography but hopefully when the time comes I will be able to be a full time mom.

1 comment:

Brynn and Carlos said...

I love this post and I love you. I don't know why but I got teary eyed at the end. You've always been such a strong independent woman who has had so many big ideas and dreams. And reading how much you want to be a mom makes me smile inside. It will be your greatest work of art, you're most difficult job and the most rewarding.